Thursday, August 14, 2014

THEY SAY IT’S YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!

Dear SoupFriends,

Greetings from the SoupMan!

In 1968 the Beatles singing group wrote a song called “Birthday.”    The lyrics go like this:

You say it's your birthday
Well it's my birthday too, yeah
They say it's your birthday
We're gonna have a good time
I'm glad it's your birthday
Happy birthday to you!!!

On August 18th I will be celebrating my 39th Birthday---again! Every year when my birthday rolls around people say to me, “SoupMan, what do you want for your birthday this year?” My answer is always the same.  I tell them I am already blessed way beyond what any man deserves in this life. Starting with my wife Shana who is the most amazing, terrific, fabulous, dazzling, kind, loving and groovy person on the PLANET. 

Then the fact the God ‘lets me’ be the Executive Director of the SoupMobile. As the SoupMan I have the absolute best job on the PLANET. Every day I get up knowing I am coming to work and will be surrounded by a staff that is absolutely passionate about serving the homeless. A staff that doesn’t consider what they do as work but as being on a ‘Mission from God.’ A staff that is the very best on the PLANET when it comes to serving the ones Jesus calls the ‘least of these.’  

Top that off by the fact that the SoupMobile has an army of friends, supporters, donors, volunteers and prayer warriors that are absolutely fanatical about supporting our mission of ‘Feeding & Sheltering’ the homeless.

But wait, it gets even better. Trumping all of these great things is that there is this guy from 2,000 years ago that Loves me unconditionally. Not just on my birthday but all the time. A guy who loved me (and you) so much that he hung on the cross and gave his life for us.  He came for you! He came for me! He came for all mankind.

Yes, it’s that time of the year again. Time to celebrate my 39th birthday---again! What do I want for my birthday? Absolutely nothing! I’ve already got it all and then some. A fantastic wife, a job that’s unbelievably rewarding, a staff that is ‘off the chain’, an army of supporters and a Savior who made it all possible.
I think the bigger question is not what the SoupMan wants for his birthday but what does Christ want for HIS birthday coming up on December 25th.  The Bible tells us exactly what he wants for HIS birthday. In the book of Matthew he talks about how we treat the ‘least of these.’ Jesus wants us to reach out to our fellowman in love, kindness, mercy and compassion.

 Not sure how to do that? Well here is an idea for you. This year the SoupMobile will be celebrating its 10th Annual Celebrate Jesus Christmas Gala by which we will take 500 homeless men, women & children to the downtown Dallas Omni Hotel for Christmas.  These precious homeless are the ones Jesus calls the ‘least of these.’ We will need more than 2,500 volunteers to come to the Omni at Christmas and help us minister to our homeless guests.  You, your family, your company, your organization or your church could be part of that group of like-minded volunteers.  Formal signups to volunteer with the SoupMobile this Christmas start on November 1st at our website: www.soupmobile.org.

Hmm, now that I think about it, there is something that I do want for my birthday this year. I want ‘you’ to come and join the SoupMan and his fabulous SoupTeam at the Omni this Christmas as ‘together’ we give Jesus his birthday wish by giving 500 men, women and children the most magical Christmas of their lives.

May the Lord Bless & Keep You & Yours.

Signed, David Timothy, a.k.a. SoupMan


  

No comments:

Post a Comment