Wednesday, August 17, 2011

SOUPMAN'S 39TH BIRTHDAY---AGAIN!!!

Dear SoupFriends,

Greetings from the SoupMan!

Another year has gone by and I am turning 39 (again) on August 18th. As I get older I often ponder 'What's it all about? Why am I here on this planet? Why are we here? What's our purpose? What's the meaning of it all?'


I've lived life on this planet two ways. Early on in my younger days I lived life just for myself. I basically worried about my wants, my needs and my life. I didn't give much thought to others. It wasn't that I mistreated others or gave people a bad time. It was just that I was the main focus of my life on this planet.


Guess what? Living life just for myself was not very satisfying. And no matter how much you have, when you are living your life for yourself its never enough. Its like there is a hole in your soul that can't be filled. The Bible tells us that Jesus will fill that hole but I think we have to do our part. In my own life I knew Jesus but that didn't seem to be enough. What I had to learn was that just knowing the words of Jesus was only half the equation. The other half was living the words of Jesus.Or as spoken in SoupSpeak, 'you can talk the talk but can you walk the walk?'


In my younger years I let a lot of birthdays go by where I just 'talked the talk'. Yeah, I went to church, quoted the Bible and believed in and loved Jesus but as for actually 'living' the words of Jesus---well that was for the other guy. It was only during the long term illness of my late wife Peggy that I started to 'live' the words of Jesus. And while I don't consider myself anything special, I do consider Jesus special and worthy of my obedience.


Jesus said "Feed MY Sheep." At the SoupMobile we believe that he wasn't making a suggestion but more of a call to action. We also believe he meant more than just food. He also meant love, caring, compassion and shelter. As the SoupMan I have the deep privilege of serving the ones Jesus called the 'least of these.' That hole in my soul has been filled with a richness of caring, compassion and love.


Every year as my birthday rolls around, I am asked 'Hey SoupMan, what do you want for your birthday?' The answer is nothing. That hole in my soul has long been filled and I am in need of nothing. However if you insist on giving me something, then I would only ask this:


Give something to your fellowman. Reach out in love to those around you just like Jesus would have done. It could be something as simple as a friendly smile, putting a quarter in an expired parking meter, sending flowers to someone in a nursing home, fixing a stranded persons flat tire, volunteering at a local charity, praying for a friend, buying a meal for a homeless person, or a hundred other little things that can make a big difference in someone's life.



If you will reach out to your fellowman in love, kindness and mercy then you will have given me the best birthday gift I could ever ask for. I have lived my life both ways. Early on when it was all about me and now, where its all about 'Feeding HIS Sheep.' The latter is far more satisfying.


p.s. Yes, the SoupMan is turning 39---again!!! I will leave you with the words of one of the smartest men from the 20th Century. Albert Einstein said "Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

May the Lord Bless & Keep You All.

Signed, David Timothy, a.k.a. The SoupMan

No comments:

Post a Comment